During the transplant I noted a few things about out specimens. The cotyledon leaves are at the around 3 inches from the true leaves. The root system is no longer a single anchoring root but is composed of smaller multiple roots. I think the cotyledon leaves wont survive when the plant tries to grow more since the plant now uses the true leaves to make its own energy. I'll probably see this in the fourth week of observations. We transplanted 26 plants all in all. Happy with everything we left the plant bed and proceeded to do our other work.
Saturday, July 12, 2008
3rd Week Plant Journal
We last left the tomato plants when they started to develop their first true leaves. The plant box started get crowded so I decided to transplant the seedling to a larger area that would allow them expand their leaves and roots and basically grow in a better manner. So with the help of my father we prepared a new plant bed and began transplanting the plants from the small box to the new plant bed.


During the transplant I noted a few things about out specimens. The cotyledon leaves are at the around 3 inches from the true leaves. The root system is no longer a single anchoring root but is composed of smaller multiple roots. I think the cotyledon leaves wont survive when the plant tries to grow more since the plant now uses the true leaves to make its own energy. I'll probably see this in the fourth week of observations. We transplanted 26 plants all in all. Happy with everything we left the plant bed and proceeded to do our other work.
Unfortunately we didn't watch what was happening the next day and it seems that the abundant bird species of sparrows wanted to try the tomatoes before we did. The second day after transplant we found out that 10 plants had been damaged by the birds who had eaten the leaves of the tomato plants or cut its branches. The problem was that these birds didn't scare easily so bells didn't do. We managed to find an old fishing net stocked at the house and placed it over the plant bed. Unfortunately the task of making sure that the plants where safe had eaten a lot of time.
During the transplant I noted a few things about out specimens. The cotyledon leaves are at the around 3 inches from the true leaves. The root system is no longer a single anchoring root but is composed of smaller multiple roots. I think the cotyledon leaves wont survive when the plant tries to grow more since the plant now uses the true leaves to make its own energy. I'll probably see this in the fourth week of observations. We transplanted 26 plants all in all. Happy with everything we left the plant bed and proceeded to do our other work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment