Thursday, September 18, 2008

Plant Journal Week 15

I did a tally of the number of fruits per each plant. There are 29 plants all in all. As of the 15th week we have a total of 849 unripe fruits and 113 ripe fruits so a total of around 962 fruits are present for the 29 plants. 


Of the 34 plants I noticed that even those plants who where affected by the yellow leaf curl virus still managed to carry their fruit to term the data from the sick plants show that there are 3-8 fruits for the sick plants.


This was the first harvest for the 29 plants in the tomato plot when I weighed them it was around 4.48 kg in total weight. So each fruit has an average weight of 154 grams. 

I decided to check out the number of seeds present per fruit. I took 10 samples at random from the pile of 962 fruits that was harvested from the tomato plants. I cut the fruits in half and start to do a count of the number of seeds.


Seed Count Data Set

53 60 54 62 83
64 33 70 28 68

Data from the seed count tells me that there is an average of 57 seeds in one fruit this has a standard error of around 5 seeds. If I used the average number of seeds from the count I did and multiplied it by 962 I would come up with 54,834 seeds for the whole 4.48 kg harvest and it is only coming from 29 trees.

I also noticed that there are only 2 out of 10 fruits which are 3 lobe fruits. So that gives us a probability of 80% that the harvested fruit will have two lobes and 20 % that it is 3 lobe fruit. 

The immense number of seeds produced by the plant may indicate that it is the certain kind of plant that may end up as food for animals since it has a huge number of offspring in order to perpetuate the species. 

No comments: