Week 13 was spent most of the time doing a lot of reading and note taking for the animal dissection journal. I began to wonder how similar does the internal structure of my american cockroach is to a german cockroach so I went in search of german cockroaches. I immediately noticed that they where easier to find than the american cockroach just a bit more tricky to catch. I took two samples. And opened them up.
They have the same structure and even have better looking internal organs than my american cockroach.
The body fat is also coloured white and is partially soluble in alcohol. I also noticed that they don't stink as much as my american roaches or perhaps I was maybe lucky enough to have obtained samples that didn't stink.
We can see the pharynx, oesophagus, crop, gastric caeca, ventriculus, malpighian tubules, colon and rectum in this sample. The only thing that was quite obvious when I did this dissection was the degree of difficulty making the ventral cuts on the abodmen since the sample was only around 1.5 cm long. Perhaps the german cockroach would make a suitable test subject for anyone doing studies on cockroaches since they need a relatively low space for their habitat.
No comments:
Post a Comment