Saturday, September 27, 2008

Plant Journal

September 20, 2008

I had just finished doing another survey of the animals that live in the whole tomato garden and I got these results

Spider – 1 / 29 plants

Whitefly – 432 / 4 plants surveyed

Thrips – 17 / 4 plants surveyed

Wasp – 1 / 29 plants

Ladybird beetle – 0 / 4 plants surveyed

Leaf Curl Damaged – 6 plants

Plants with leaves affected by white spots – Thrips damage – 4 plants

Leaf Hopper burns – 1 plant only 5 leaves where damaged

Tomato Blossom End Rot – 4 plants had fruits with this problem

I compared these results with data I had collected on week 5 and observations done on week 7 and week 2. I plotted them together with my current data this was the curve plotted thru the use of excel.

It seems as when the plants grew older they started to also accumulate more white flies. The ladybird population also became zero at certain point between week 7 and 15 they may have gone else where for food.

September 25, 2008

I finished doing most of the adjustment on the plant ecology journal. I went back and re-examined my data on plant height and plotted the change in tomato plant height using excel and a little slope assignment for the missing height data and I came up with this graph.


Suprisingly when I compared the graph to the time it took for the plant to start producing flowers and consequently grow fruit I find out that the buds appeared at around week 7. The material in the BIO A module tells us that a large amount of the energy available to the plant goes into development of reproductive organs and cells. The slow down on the graph on week 6 could indicate this preparation for flowering. The fastest growth rate for the plant is seen in week 4 based on the data collect this is followed by the slow down but still continual growth of the plant.

This is the food web diagram I prepared for my ecology handbook.

No comments: